Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Foster Care

I guess I should have waited to update y'all about little LJ. Got a call today. Change is coming it seems.

Visits have been extended to four times a week, and for longer periods of time. I can handle that. After seeing how happy and excited he was to see mom today, I was happy they would have more time together.

I've really come to love LJ's family. I love his grandfather specifically and especially. I am concerned for them, for his mom. They are SO full of love, it is just sad that some things in life create a barrier to the things that are most important. It is my prayer that LJ's mom can find the strength to push forth, and that little LJ will always know how much he is loved, wanted and needed in this life, especially when he leaves us.

He wasn't feeling the greatest today, he had a fever today and since he had seen his mom, was fighting his nap. I went in and just talked to him, caressed his little face until his eyes closed. My mind kept wandering to his mom. I keep thinking about if I were in her position, I would hope that if my kids were in someone else's care, there would be someone there to give them lots of hugs, lots of kisses, and extra time and care if they were sick. My heart has grown SO much through this experience, and each day is getting easier. It is very much worth it.

9 comments:

blair said...

wow, kim, seriously. i hope you guys will continue to be foster parents after LJ leaves, because you are exactly the type of foster parents Utah needs!

strykersmommy said...

You are amazing Kim. It sounds like you are great at this. It's amazing how much your heart can grow when you least expect it.

Wendy said...

There must be something wrong with me but I can't stop crying thinking of little LJ and you giving him all the love he deserves and praying that he has when he gets home. I agree that you are exactly the type of Foster Parent Utah needs. There are so many childen who just need to be loved, even if it's only for a short time. Thanks for blogging about your Foster Care experience. It is definitely something we have considered.

On a completely different note, can I get some of your pass along cards? I have been in so many situations where I have been asked about adoption and have nothing with me. Especially when I am doing community outreach.

Heather said...

You are the epitome of Mommy!! It's amazing how wonderful you are but not surprising!!

Amber Ro said...

you are one amazing person...my hero.
Thanks for being such a good example of hope and strength.

Fostervision said...

See Kim, this is why we all love you so much...you give of yourself unconditionally and truly love whoever(whomever?) you are serving at that moment. What a great example to me!!!!

Tim and Ashlee said...

I'm not suprised that you love LJ like your own. You're such a great mommy.

Holly said...

Yay, I am happy to hear he is moving toward a permanent situation. That we even need a foster care system is heart breaking - but you're wonderful and I know he's benefiting in a huge way from your attention.

Amy said...

I was just about to say 'he is so lucky to have you' but I see you are very blessed to have him. I'm glad you got the experience!