Thursday, July 31, 2008

Training...really righteous and totally gnarly.

So someone asked what the training for this "half marathon" was. Well, I have been following

THIS PLAN

It is for a novice. Considering I am a novice, meaning I have NEVER EVER EVER ran more than a mile WILLINGLY...this was the perfect way to start.

If I can survive this...I may attempt this. I figure I am halfway there, so I might as well try, even if I have to crawl my way down.

But that means I will need to do this. And well, to be honest, that 20 mile run on my own is a little freaky.

You have to understand that I HAVE to take walking breaks. Which means that I am not "running" the ENTIRE time I am out. I do however try to beat my times from the previous day or week, which means that as time goes on, I am running more and more. I have a longer endurance, when really all I could run at first was MAYBE half a mile without feeling like I was going to die when I first started this journey.

Also, I hate to keep hashing this...but I have not lost a SINGLE pound or a SINGLE inch. Haven't. Really. I have actually gained...ready for this? FOUR pounds. Muscle? Maybe. Am I happy about it? Not one bit. It is quite discouraging for me. I started this journey with the hopes of shedding a few inches...and it has been almost two months and I am just feeling yucko when I look in the mirror.

BUT, I am happy with the person I have become. I happy that my body is doing something that I never gave it credit for. And for that...I am SMILING!

Good luck you guys...you should try it. I think you'll digg it. And it is radical.

11 comments:

Brenley said...

That happened to my husband recently. It was driving him crazy that he was gaining instead of losing. I don't understand it! I am so proud of you though, I so would love to become a runner!

Midwest Mommy said...

I might just have to try this :-)

Michelle said...

Muscle. I'm telling you. Some bodies respond to running and others don't. You and I have the same body reaction to running. GOOD FOR YOU!!! You can officially kick my butt now. Keep it up. You ARE amazing. See? You can do anything you put your mind to. Don't quit. Keep going.

marci helen said...

totally feel you on the inches and pounds thing! i will work harder than usual to meet a goal i have set and i swear my body acts like i have done nothing...so why am i not just staying in bed longer and missing the silly morning routine?? just makes me feel good...same as you!! keep it up, you always look great!

Shan said...

Ok, I put a post on my page mostly for you. They are words of wisdom to live by, and I know you will be able to relate to them. You are doing so amazing, and I really truly promise I wouldn't smoke you if you ever want to run together. I would absolutely LOVE to go with someone. Gets lonely sometimes :) Love you Kimmie, read my latest post :)

Holly said...

I am going to guess muscle. And then I am going to be the real devil (please don't shoot the messenger) and tell you the one side effect I know in common from every person I know that takes an anti-depressant....weight gain. I won't out my friends and family on your blog but I have heard of this from many.

The Lilly's said...

I know you're not posting about running for the sake of compliments...but I'm glad you tell us about it because it gives me some much needed inspiration!

Michelle said...

Kim! I have to comment on your dream post. I can't figure out where to comment so I'm doing it here. I've been struggling w/ separating reality from the dream I had last night! Way too much detail. It was way too weird. I've had lots of those lately. Must be that you're exhausted from all your running. Go Kim!!!

Christal said...

you are so fun I love reading your blog you will be amazing ! Muscle sucks eh it weighs to much haha!
About your dream last night I have to many of those too and they seem to stay way to long and not go away I hate it! Hope your doing okay I'm glad you have the marathon to help keep you busy its good to have something to work towards!! You are awesome!! ttys

Ponczoch Family said...

Oh, that darn muscle! Does it really have to both weigh more & be larger than fat? Good for you for sticking it out though. I keep trying to convince myself to start running again, but I'm not a treadmill fan & I'm just certain that a pack of dogs will attack me if I run outside. So for today I'll live my dreams through you;)

Whitney said...

Hey! Do you run on a treadmill or do you go outside? I really think that I'm going to do the first plan that you put up on this post. Thanks for the shot in the arm I needed to convince me to continue running!