Monday, January 31, 2011

How big is your heart? Guest blogger: Jothan


Hi guys. Remember last year when I guest blogged for my mom?

Well, I came home again last Friday from school, and I begged, and begged, and begged my mom to let me jump rope for the American Heart Association. Last year I raised well over my goal and this year I hope to raise at least $100 for the American Heart Association.

I need your help.

Let me tell you a little bit about my little friend Parker.
(His blog is really cute and I like to look at his photos. You should check it out sometime. He sat behind me at church yesterday and I felt pretty lucky and thankful that he was healthy and able to come to church and be my friend.)
Parker has a special heart. When he was inside his mom the doctors discovered his special heart. It didn't beat as fast as my heart beats. In fact, it beat really. really. really. slowly.

My heart beats like this. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
While Parker's heart beat like this - - - - -
His heart should have beat more like this.............................

Parker almost had to be born REALLY early to help save his life.
Parker is really strong and he held on super tight to his mom, and he was born healthy.
When he was ONLY two days old, he had heart surgery on his special heart.
He now has a pacemaker attached to his heart. His pacemaker is in his tummy.
Here is a photograph my mom took of Parker when he was 3 weeks old:


He is getting bigger and stronger every day. Except he is still smaller than my baby sister was when she was born. He is that tiny.

I want to jump rope for Parker and for other kids with special hearts.
I have until Friday, February 4, 2011 to raise $100 for the American Heart Association.

Will you help me?

You can donate here:


Thank you so much for helping me achieve my goal. I learned some cool things about the American Heart Association and wanted to tell you about them. Sometimes it helps to know what you are donating to, and why your donations are so important.

Thank the American Heart Association Research if:

A loved one has had a successful heart bypass
Someone you know has recovered from a heart attack.
You had open heart surgery and slept through the whole thing.
You take medicine to treat your hight cholesterol.
CPR saved your life or the life of a loved one.
An Automated External Defibrillator (AED) saved your uncle's life.
Someone you know has a new heart valve.
You take medicine to regulate your hight blood pressure.
If pacemaker regulates your son's heart rhythm. (Like Parker's.)
Clot-busting drugs helped reduce the severity of a loved one's stroke.
You are one of the one million survivors of a heart attack this year.
You were able to return to work after having a stroke.
A friend or family member received a heart transplant.

For more information please visit:





6 comments:

Emily said...

Done! So proud of you and your jump roping for Parker. Best of luck on reaching your goal--I'm sure you can do it!

Shane, Meg, CJ, RJ, and AL said...

We will definitely be donating! I had open-heart surgery seven years ago and have an artificial valve we have named "Clicky Vicky." Thanks for reminding me how lucky I am, Jothan! Good luck jumping!

Kate said...

Hey Jothan! I bet you don't remember me, but I knew you a few years ago. I'm friends with your mom and dad - do you know how lucky you are to have them as your parents? They rock!!

I just want to thank you, Jothan, for having such a kind heart! What an amazing boy you are for wanting to help people with special hearts. My dad has a special heart. Just a few weeks before my wedding he had a problem with his heart. But you know what, other kids like you had jumped rope and raised money for the American Heart Association. With that money, they got to pay to learn more about how to fix my dad's heart. And they fixed it! That means he was able to dance with me at my wedding instead of being in the hospital. And that means that kids like you saved my dad's life.

That's why I decided I should donate some money for you - because when you jump rope for the American Heart Association, I want you to be able to save somebody's life too!

Good luck!!!
-Kate

Laura said...

Jothan,

I think it's awesome that you are learning to think of others at such a young age. You have a great mom.

Pam Smith said...

Thank you so much for doing this for Parker! I have chaired the Jump Rope for Heart at my school and it's a great cause. I love Parker so much and am grateful for all the research that has helped him.

Steph said...

You son is the bestest!