Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cool Beans



This year, my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we are studying the Doctrine and Covenants in Sunday School. I am not a theologian, I don't claim to be super smart in areas of religion, but basically, this book is a book of revelations given to Joseph Smith around the time of the Restoration of the church into the 20th Century. Pretty freaking cool.

I didn't realize it at the time, but around the first part of January I started reading
The Work and the Glory.

Maybe you have heard of the movies?
(They are bomb too, especially that scruffy Joshua. Mmmm gimme some of that.)

Even though these books are considered "fiction" because they greatly revolve around a fictional family, the church history behind them is amazing. The author has done an INCREDIBLE job of documenting his sources, and I have found myself mesmerized by all that I am learning.

On Friday, Hubbs and I had a date. Yes, a real date, cool huh? Anyway, we went to
The Church History Museum.

I freaking LOVE this place. I am a Church History GENIUS now, anyway, I am just amazed.

What is the point of all this rambling?

I have come to love and to respect the temple even more since my study of the Doctrine and Covenants. And I wanted to take the time to share this beautiful video from my church telling you all about the temple and why we have them. Pretty cool stuff.

Have a happy sabbath yo.







Blasted youtube isn't working...here is the linky loo.

3 comments:

Barrett said...

The girls and I have three more days left of reading and then we are done with the D&C! I have learned so much reading the scriptures with the girls in the past year! I didn't really think I would since we are reading the scripture 'readers' and I've read the real scriptures before but I did! Awesome!
My class and Karah's class in primary are going to the Church History Museum next Saturday for a primary activity! It will be fun!

blair said...

that's a beautiful video, and a really wonderful thing for all those who saw that episode and are confused as to what the LDS church really believes - so often we focus on the things that shouldn't matter to us, but matter so much to others, and then everything gets carried away. this is beautiful, thanks for sharing!

Jon said...

I just watched the movie of The Work and The Glory the other day! I love it. My brother keeps bugging me that I need to read them. I really need to. Also, I really love the Church History Museum. It's fun to take people from out of town to it.

Jenny